Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lazy Loretta and Goes-for-it Gus

It's me. I'm the Lazy Loretta.

I have only bad excuses--I was busy, I was out of town, it's just warm enough to be mucky outside, I haven't gotten my bike tuned up yet... All these and more are the reasons I have been slacking this month. Amazingly enough, June 6 doesn't care. Triathlon is going to just keep getting closer and closer until it's here, regardless whether I'm prepared.

So I've been developing a new training strategy for April and May: I will train intentionally rather than whimsically. I will make sure that I'm devoting appropriate amounts of time on each event (instead of avoiding swimming because it's really hard). I will keep records to track my progress (instead of assuming that I must be progressing because that's what happens with practice invariably). I will track of outdoor workouts as well as indoor ones (instead of being tricked into thinking that 10 minutes running on a treadmill is the same as 10 minutes running along the river).

I'll be bigger, faster, stronger. Or...at least two out of the three.

The Goes-for-it Gus in this story is my dad. I learned recently that he did a sprint triathlon (a more intense one than we've signed up for, but back when he was around our ages) and took third. Third. Only two people were faster than him on that course that day. While not at all a realistic goal for me, I'm pretty impressed that it was not only a realistic goal but an achieved goal for my kin.



No comments:

Post a Comment