Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Eh-hem...Introductions

My name is Kate. I have never done a triathlon.

There. I said it.

What's more is that I've never really been a runner (my knees act like they're older than dirt) or a biker (which was largely due to an unshared family enthusiasm for the damn things). Recently, however, I switched shoe styles and bought a new bike, which have significantly heightened my appreciation--growing into adoration--for these means of transportation.

I have been running a few times a week for several weeks. These have been petite runs, mind you--probably about 2-3 miles a week. I made a goal to run a 5k in 30 minutes or less that I quickly forgot about since I got a new bike shortly thereafter...

Since getting my new bike I have been head-over-heels smitten. Smitten, I tell you! Last summer I averaged 10 miles a day, and ended up biking the 28-mile commute to and from work through the early fall. I have been out once so far this year (February 4) and am itching to get back on my beautiful piece of machinery.

Swimming is another story altogether--it's hard. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar. We humans have achieved some degree of competency in the water probably due to stubbornness and stupidity. I suspect this because we are terrestrial animals not meant to be in the water as evidenced by our respiratory system.

So that's who I am. A gal in need of advice, attempting a triathlon for the first time in her life.

1 comment:

  1. I can't help but smile when you talk about how much you love your bike/biking. You did NOT want a new bike when we were kids. That much was clear.

    ReplyDelete