Monday, February 21, 2011

Bike Trainers

Bike Trainers
Thank you , http://www.livingincomfort.com/bictrain.html for the picture.

Have you guys seen these? They seem rad. They allow any bike to be a stationary bike. Your bike, even. Your bike with your seat, your geometry, your pedals, your gears, your sweat soaked into the handlebar wrapping (gross, but even grosser when it's not yours, right?).

It seems like they run between $150-$400 and I'm sure have all sorts of features and components I would care about if I were shopping a little more seriously (say, at the beginning of a long winter) for indoor biking equipment. They're a little odd though--you sit up about 3" off the ground, and while there is no forward motion, the suspension of your rear wheel allows for lateral motion.

So what's the deal with these? Are they helpful? Are they dumb? Are they cool, but not cool enough to justify purchasing one?




3 comments:

  1. Ironically, I know a little about bike trainers, but naturally its because of George. George seems to really like his and use them frequently, so you can ask him about it, but I'm pretty sure he would highly recommend it for the winterz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one. I HATE it. HATE HATE HATE it. And it works wonderfully and is a really great workout and has been great as I try and adjust my bike this winter when adding new components. It is just so boring.

    I love biking because the wind is in my hair and I'm seeing parts of the city and it is all wonderful. The damn trainer doesn't go anywhere! And you can't coast! And there are no stop signs!

    So, if you don't mind not moving and staring at a wall, they are great.

    And they are a little loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you use it, it will be very cool :-)
    Mentally it can be challenging, just set it up in front of your tv and watch a movie.

    ReplyDelete