Monday, February 7, 2011

lauren: the plan

So, hi folks.

Here's the deal. It's been a goal in the back of my brain for a few years now that I've wanted to do a triathlon. Nothing in particular has held me back, besides a general dislike of running and time frames that somehow excluded me from doing any local events.

But this is the year. This year, I have the terribly important motivator of a friend committed to the same goal, and it's our hope that with a collaborator, we'll each have the focus and drive to keep going even when things seem difficult or grim.

This year, I leave in July for six months aboard a cruise ship as an orchestra musician, and I'd like to be, frankly, kinda smokin' hot for the men of Europe. And also for myself, ahem, of course.

This year, winter's got me down, big time. Cabin fever has reached an all time high and I often go down to the basement to just sit by my bike and talk to it in a slow, soothing voice.

Kate and I are still in the process of picking exactly which tri we'd like to do. Our time frame is anywhere in June, basically, minus a weekend or two, and our distance is Sprint (1/4 mi swim, 14 mi bike, 3.3 mi run) We have a few picked out but if any fellow Minnesotans want to throw in their two cents, we'd listen. Promise.

I've set up my training schedule using this website: Beginner Triathlete. Basically, it's given me a 17-week schedule with increasing distances on the three events, and allowed me choose the number of workouts per week and where I want to place them. I work three jobs, and at one of my jobs I have access to a hotel gym with a pool, treadmills, and stationary bike, as well as weights and various machines. I've tailored, at least for starters, my schedule around my hours there.

I'm a strong swimmer, an obsessive but very slow cyclist, and an ungainly and cranky runner. I need to regain my swimming prowess, speed up my bicycle times, and basically just learn to get through a run without thinking my world is falling apart around me. Here goes nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment