Saturday, February 19, 2011

Spring sprung!

Oh sure, it only sprang for about 3 days, but it still counts! I dug out my spring coat and relished in the triumph of changing seasons as I prepared to go outside wearing only one layer of pants and socks.

With the beginnings of the thaw comes the beginnings of training outdoors. I biked to work on Wednesday (35 degrees and sunny), getting the first real ride of the season under my belt. The upsides far outweighed the downsides, but there were a handful of each.

First, the downsides:

-35 degrees, while 30 degrees warmer than 5 degrees, is still 30 degrees colder than 65 degrees, which is perhaps the most comfortable biking temperature
-Sloppy roads made my ride a little more adventurous than I anticipated, with more than one instance of my front and back tires going in different directions
-After almost 4 months of not biking the same route to work, it turns out I forgot a few key directions along the way

Now, the upsides:

-Chilly temperatures afford me badass status (not according to Minnesotans, but according the rest of the world)
-I didn't wipe out! Not even once.
-It took just over an hour, despite wrong turns, questionable terrain and lapsed time since I last got on a bike

It felt great to get out again, though my next trip may not be too soon...forecast predicts snow and temperatures in the 20s. I return begrudgingly to wearing my winter coat on my way to the gym for workouts.

Boo, pout, grumble.

No comments:

Post a Comment